Friday 3 May 2013

Ok I'm officially a slack blogger...

Almost 3 weeks since my last post, time really is flying at the moment!

We have been super busy with parties, school fete preparations, building a fence and life in general and I cannot believe it has been 3 weeks since my last post!

On the house front we (and I use that term loosely) finished the fence on the weekend. Although the official handover has not occurred as its not yet painted and we need to buy and install a locking mechanism for the gate, but it's good enough for me! In the words of my sister "that damn fence is still going on?!" Not anymore :-) although now we love it so much we are considering continuing it down the neighbours side, and there's still the subject of the front fence - but for now I think we are done (for at least 1 weekend or two lol).

So the overall cost came in around $900. Which is significantly less what we were quoted to do the job (quote was around $3k).

Here's a breakdown of where we spent the money:
- fence pailings purchased on gumtree $75 for 150 1.8m treated pine, these were a bargain and all straight and in v good condition
- gate $180 from gumtree, guy paid $400 for the gate to be made but when he built his fence it didn't fit so had no choice but to sell it, it's pretty amazing 1.8m x 1.2m LOVE it!
- rails, sleepers, concrete and posts (hardwood) purchased at bunnings $450 in total (approximate)
- hinges $30
- Post caps purchased at finlaysons, these were pretty hard to find and finlaysons were the only ones with nice ones ( I don't love the round ball ones I wanted square ones) anyhow they were $20 each and come in many different sizes, I think we used 7 so that was another $140.

Total cost about $900 (not including beer needed for the worker) so much better than the $3000 we were quoted!

Here's some pics of the fence, of course it will look better when painted but you get the idea...







1 comment:

  1. That fence looks fantastic, what a great find with the gates, they really make the space. mel x

    ReplyDelete